Until recently, I left my phone at home when travelling. I’d see travellers married to their smartphones and wonder why they didn’t just travel the old-fashioned way: with a map, a guidebook and hotel Internet. So when I was tasked with writing a blog post about smart travel apps, I was at a loss.
Luckily, our savvy Digital Business team sits nearby. So, I asked them which apps they would never leave home without.
Here are the travel apps they swear by:
1) Instagram is a fun, free way to share your travels with family and friends. Look like a pro, using its many filters and even share through Facebook, Twitter or Tumblr—if you like. Instagram has an “add to map” feature too, which is great for geo-locating your pictures based on where you are.
2) A great way to let friends and family know where you are and what you’re doing is Foursquare. Not sure where to go for lunch or where to take a nature hike? You can also find places to eat and things to do. If it’s bargains you’re after, you can find them there too.
3) Gogobot is a free trip planning/documentation app. It combines travel with social media and creates a place where users can share travel memories, pictures and advice. You can even create professional looking postcards with their fabulous photo filters.
4) Sampling new cuisine is part of the fun of travelling. But not knowing where to go can be a drag, especially when your blood sugar’s crashing. Foodspotting to the rescue! Use this handy app to find local restaurants, and never be left hungry again.
5) Plan the perfect trip with TripAdvisor offline city guides app. Get reviews on everything from hotels to restaurants to tours! Once downloaded, you don’t need a roaming data connection to use it!
Have any suggestions? Share your favourite travel apps below.