When it comes to packing, I’m notorious for over-doing it. Whether it’s a month-long backpacking trip or a quick overnighter, my bag is always stuffed to the max!
That being said, there are a few staples that always come in handy. Here are my top 5 things to pack for any trip.
1) Wet wipes (the multi-purpose kind)—Great to freshen up on a long flight or use on sticky fingers after an ice cream at the beach. No time to get that soiled shirt laundered? You can use wet wipes to get stains out of clothing too!
2) Pocket knife (multi-tool)—Swiss Army Knife is my brand of choice. Most models include tools like a corkscrew, can opener, scissors, etc. They’re great for an impromptu picnic in the park…buy some fruit and cheese, a baguette, something nice to drink and make yourself a sandwich al fresco. Remember to stow this one in your checked luggage not your carry-on!
3) Healthy snacks—Almonds are a traveller’s best friend. Just a few will tide you over when you’re in a pinch. Stuff a Ziplock full and carry some with you always. There’s nothing worse than being lost and hangry in an unfamiliar locale.
4) Headlamp—Though not the coolest accessory, a headlamp comes in handy when the lights go out! Want to read a bit when your travel companion doesn’t? Just realized your overnight bus has no light in the bathroom? Problem solved.
5) Water bottle—Buying 5 litres of water is cheaper than buying 1. If I’m staying in a place for a while, I’ll buy a large bottle of water to keep in my hotel room. When I go out on the town, I fill up my personal water bottle. I save on water and help out the environment at the same time.
Have your own tips for what to pack? Share below!